background

09 September 2010

Funkadelic Chili Mac from Hungry Girl

Hello Groovy Blog Friends!

I saw these recipes on http://www.hungry-girl.com/ and knew I had to try them out!  They sound fantastic and somewhat quick and easy.  As I am husbandless this week, I will have to wait until the weekend to make these. 

Funkadelic Chili Mac

Ingredients:
1 14.5oz can stewed tomatoes roughly chopped, juice reserved
1 c canned red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
1 c frozen ground beef-style soy crumbles (like Boca or Morningstar Farms)(I will be using ground turkey)
1 onion, chopped
1 red or green bell pepper, seeded and chopped
1 c portabella mushrooms, chopped
1/3 c tomato paste
1 tsp chili powder, or more to taste
1/2 tsp garlic, chopped
1/4 tsp ground cumin, or more to taste
5 oz (about 1 1/4 cups) uncooked elbow macaroni with at least 2g fiber per 2oz serving
1/4 cup shredded fat-free cheddar cheese
Cayenne pepper, optional

Directions:
To make the chili, bring a large pot sprayed with nonstick spray to medium heat on the stove.  Add all ingredients including the reserved tomato juice, EXCEPT macaroni and cheese.  Stir thoroughly.  Cover and cook until veggies are tender, about 15 minutes, occasionally removing the lid to stir.

Meanwhile, prepare macaroni according to package instructions, in boiling water for about 8 minutes.  Drain and set aside.

Once both are cooked, add drained pasta to the pot of chili.  Mix thoroughly.  Season to taste with cayenne pepper and additional spices, if you like.  Evenly top each serving with cheese and enjoy.

Makes 4 servings

Serving Size: 1.75 c
Calories: 297
Fat: 2g
Carbs: 55.5g
Fiber: 9.75g

This almost sounds to good to be true!  I haven't made anything yet that allows us to have that big of a serving especially with that little of calories so I am really excited to try this one out.  I will make a couple of changes ie.. ground turkey instead of the soy crumbles, no mushrooms on my portion and instead of the normal peppers, I will be using these really yummy sweet peppers from Sam's Club.


Mac Daddy (HG's healthy version of Macaroni Salad)

Ingredients:

For Salad:
6oz (about 1.5 c) uncooked elbow macaroni with at least 2g fiber per 2oz serving
2 c dry broccoli cole slaw
1 c celery, chopped
1 c red bell pepper, chopped
1/4 c onion, chopped
2 tbsp sweet pickle relish
6 large hard boiled egg whites, chopped

For Dressing:
1/4 c plus 2 tbsp fat free mayo
1/4 c dijon mustard
1.5 tbsp white vinegar
1/8 tsp black pepper, or more to taste
1/8 tsp salt, or more to taste
1 no-calorie sweetner packet (like Splenda)

Directions:
Prepare macaroni according to package instructions.  Drain well and transfer to a large bowl.  Allow to cool completely.

Combine all ingredients for dressing in a medium bowl and mix until blended.  Set aside.

Add all remaining salad ingredients to the bowl with the cooked macaroni.  Add dressing and toss to coat.  Refrigerate for at least 1 hour, until completely chilled.

Makes 8 servings

Serving Size: 1 heaping cup
Calories: 126
Fat: 1g
Carbs: 23g
Fiber: 2g

The only change I foresee myself making to this one is substituting the red peppers for my sweet peppers.  How yummy would this be with some turkey sliders?!

Ohk, time for dessert! 

Double Chocolate Mousse Attack

Ingredients:
1 pk Nabisco 100 Cal. Oreo-Thin Crisps
2 Mousse Temptations by Jell-O snack cups, any chocolate flavor
1 Jell-O Sugar Free Chocolate Pudding snack
1/2 c Fat Free Reddi-Whip

Directions:
Roughly crush cookies and set half aside.  Evenly distribute the other half between to small glasses or dessert bowls.

Spoon a container of mousse into each glass/bowl.  Top each layer of mousse with half of the pudding.  Squirt 1/4 c of Reddi-Whip on top of each pudding layer.  Sprinkle the remaining crushed cookies on top of the two desserts, evenly distributing the cookies between the desserts.

Makes 2 Servings

Serving Size: 1 dessert (1/2 the recipe)
Calories: 150
Fat: 4.75g
Carbs: 28.5
Fiber: 1g

I thought this sounded good and chocolate is the one thing I've avoided since starting this whole thing.  It just might be time for a special treat  :)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I so want to reach my goal and I can't let these past two weeks become a trend.  I feel like I've fallen off the horse but I am ready to get back on him and conqueror this for once and for all.  I have so much to look forward to and can't let this extra "baggage" pull me down anymore. 

Also THANK YOU to everyone who reads or who has read my blog, I greatly appreciate your support and kind words. 

No comments:

Post a Comment